Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Waking up with Positivity





Waking up usually isn't the best part of my day. I am not a morning person. I like to sleep late and let the sunlight slowly fill up my senses like the mountains in springtime (thank you John Denver). A lot of times, my negative mood while getting myself to work finds its way into the rest of my day. One thing goes wrong here or there in the morning and I become a sour sally full of sarcasm. Granted, I don't take my frustrations out on others (at least I don't think I do), but I also don't prance around jovial and full of life. Because of this, I have made it a point to find positivity before bedtime.

Bedtime is a happy time for me whether I'm going to sleep with a special someone or all by myself. I try to turn to the hilarious and goofy Conan O'brien for some sweet dream preparation. Still, he's on late at night and a lot of times I fall asleep before I can enjoy his fluffy bright troll doll haircut. Therefore, at 2am, when I realize I am sleeping on my couch and ready to go to bed, I remind myself of all the good things in my life.




Most nights my list of appreciation goes along the lines of how safe I am in my home, and how often I take that for granted. I live in a peaceful apartment with a wonderful friend and roommate. I have food in my tummy and blankets to keep my warm. This safety is something that too many people in this world don't get to experience, whether it is because they live in a place where they can't access the things they need to survive, or if they live in a home with violent people as their guardians or loved ones. I am incredibly lucky.

I also realize that I am a healthy person, and any aches and pains I have only come with being able to be active and live my life to its fullest. I get to go ride my bike, run, jump, twist and shout! I must take advantage of my youth, be optimistic, and enjoy the ride I am on.






These basic things are the post valuable things I have. Safety, health, and the ability to be thankful for them. But there is one thing that made me go to bed thankful last night, and wake up again today feeling the same way.

That thing was my ability to vote.

I stood in a peaceful line at 7:30 am today in a church in St Paul, Minnesota to tell my government what I wanted. I was surrounded by diverse people and for the first time, having the first black man as President of the United States was within reach. Although I know it is a right in our society, I feel priviledged. Great strides are being made, and I am here to be a part of that. I am savoring these moments where the everything is in limbo. It is impressive, whichever way the election swings.

I hope if you're checking out this blog today and are participating in the same election that I just did, you are appreciative and satisfied that you simply have the ability to participate. Our constitution and our systems may be flawed in some ways, but their ability to be amended is incredibly valuable. Someday soon, I think we'll all be truly equal.

Just make sure you're voting to help make that happen.

Good day, sunlight!





No comments: