Thursday, September 25, 2008

Visualizing Kinship


As I stated before, my theme for this week is Kinship with all life. And I can think of nothing that better represents that theme (visually at least) than Gregory Colbert's Ashes and Snow:






The show encompasses over 60 expeditions to almost every continent and more than 16 years in the making (and ongoing). Ashes and Snow has been viewed now by over 10 million people worldwide, making it the most attended exhibition by a living artist in history. All in all an epic endeavor, the success of which I believe must be attributed to the power of its message.

And if that's not cool enough, the show is housed in The Nomadic Museum, a sustainable and transportable structure, made originally out of recycled shipping crates and most recently, out of sustainable bamboo in Mexico City (the largest bamboo building in the world, to date!).



Emily Dickinson once wrote that great poetry can knock your head off. This does it for me. Tune in later for more in my series of kinship with all life...

-jordan

No comments: