Thursday, July 31, 2008

SuperForester Lauren Presents: Pet Adoption!



Hello All,

We just got an email from SuperForester Lauren, who is all the way out in the middle of the briny, blue Pacific on the island of Kauai.

Miss Lauren writes:

"Howzit SuperForesters :)

Writing from Hawai'i...and I've been meaning to pay a visit to the local humane society before I head out to my first year of college (to major in environmental studies!), but work and catching up on rest and relaxation on the weekends has prevented me from it. I have, however, been able to look at the humane society websites with the available pets for adoption. I want them all!! It just reinforced a belief I've had for awhile: why should we breed pet dogs and cats when we have a surplus of them without a loving home? Mixed breeds (or poi dogs as we call them here) are usually known to live longer lives, anyway. It's sad that many dogs and cats get euthanized because there aren't enough people who adopt, or (like me) have already adopted a humane society pet and has no room for another one. Which makes you think, "if all those people who buy $600 purebreds adopted instead, how many dogs and cats and the shelter would then have suitable homes?"

A couple facts about shelter animals from AmericanHumane.org:

-In 1997 roughly 64% of the total number of animals that entered shelters were euthanized -- approximately 2.7 million animals in just these 1,000 shelters.These animals may have been put down due to overcrowding, but may have been sick, aggressive, injured, or suffered something else.

-25% of dogs and 24% of cats that enter animal shelters are adopted.

This weekend I finally made the time to visit the Kaua'i Humane Society with my boyfriend. We went to play with the dogs and cats and there were so many up for adoption! One dog that we took out to play, Gertie, was extremely shy and timid around us, but immediately perked up when we brought another dog in to play with her. One of the workers there said she was probably abused with her former owner and confined in a small area.

It's a sad reality for many of them that they are either found as strays or given up by their owners, or taken away from abusive homes.

My family once had to give up a dog I was really fond of, Shadow. She was a stray that roamed to our home and became buddies with my pound dog, Malia. Unfortunately the two of them went to the neighbors and their little dog was killed. The neighbor thinks it was Malia, but either way we had to let go of one of them, so Shadow was brought to the humane society, and Malia is now not allowed to roam freely --although she still gets to go on walks in our front yard. It was my fault to not have better trained the two of them in the first place, and I feel badly about that.

I really am hoping that Shadow was adopted because she was a very, very friendly, loving, and harmless dog. The fortunate thing for animals like Shadow at the shelter, is that the workers and volunteers walk them everyday and do their best to get them out to good homes. I looked up the local websites of the humane societies here in Hawai'i, and found that the Honolulu, Kaua'i, and Maui websites are updated often with new pictures of dogs and cats available for adoption!

So for those who are ready for a new companion or an addition to thefamily, instead of looking up a local breeder or pet store, pay a visit to the humane society. They have so many eligible pets and you will definitely save a life. The cost to adopt at the humane society here on Kaua'i is only $50, and the fee pays for $300 worth of services! (Spaying or neutering, food, microchipping, collar and leash, and preventative health care).

I was hoping you guys could feature a blog on pets and visiting the local shelters to adopt one instead of buying one from the pet shop or breeder! Thanks for the fun blogs --I've been reading them on my job, and they've helped me survive the last 6 (mostly boring) weeks! Keep up the great work!

Aloha, Lauren"


Great stuff, Lauren!

We here at SuperForest are strong believers in recycling, and if that extends into the animal kingdom pet-wise, all the better. As a matter of fact, the incandescent SuperForest Mascot, Mr. Baloo, was a rescue for Beagles & Buddies in Pomona, CA.

Look how cute:



If you're looking for a pet, try to adopt. It's good for all parties involved.

Special thanks to SuperForester Lauren for the heads up!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I really love dogs and most other animals.
Baby was killed 3 years ago and I missed her so much. But this time instead of not owning a dog, I went right away to the pound, shopping and met Molly. I didn't want a puppy to train and Molly was one year old.
She has become my new companion she is not Baby but a wonderful creature all of her own.
Yes you can meet a new and wonderful pet at the humane society.
Billy
www.mollychronicles.com