Monday, June 9, 2008

Organic vs. Local Food Debate

Good Morning!

I have had this topic stirring in my mind for weeks now, trying to figure out my stance and how to communicate this debate. I had no idea how hot of a topic this is in the food community. This topic came up because I buy a lot of fruits and vegetables at a farmers market upstate, which is not an organic farm and since I have a baby, I want to be aware of what I am giving him.

I have now done a decent amount of research and I still don't know what to write. I found this great article in Time Magazine, that I have read over 3 times.



The writer clearly outlines all the issues.

If you have this same decision making crisis between "conventional" and "organic" when you are at Whole Foods this week, I recommend reading this article.

To sum it up, he discusses not only the environmental impact of transporting organic foods from far away countries, but the impact it has on the taste of the foods, which to John Mackey (the CEO of Whole Foods) is the deciding factor in this debate. I totally get that and of course, in the North East, if you only ate organic local foods, your choice of vegetables would be very limited, since it is nearly impossible to grow organically when it is 10 degrees outside.
Of course, it is so important to support our local farmers. This is undebatable.

But, is it better to give a one year old baby an apple that has been grown using chemical pesticides or fertilizers, but tastes better because it hasn't been refrigerated?

For me, I thought it was interesting to note that there have been several studies that suggest that some types of organic foods contain more vitamins than the conventionally grown foods. But this fact is also debated and local purists say that the fresher it is, the more nutritionally complete it is. Is that the answer then? Is that the most important factor?

Ok. Maybe I'm obsessing, but does anyone else have an opinion? I wanted to open the discussion and I'm sure I will post about this in the future, as I formulate my opinions, but for now I thought I would encourage everyone to think about it, share your thoughts and read this article.

And just as a side note:

Stay Cool! (it is 98 degrees in NYC!)

Niki

1 comment:

p.j. said...

Hi Niki,

I agree, in the fight of Organic vs. Local Food, yeah it's too close to call. But at least you and your baby are eating healthy and aware of what you put in your body.

Here's what I think:
Of course local organic food is the best, hands down! Especially if you grow your own food! But when it comes to the everyday conscious consumer, it's a tough decision.

I personally go for the local farm foods when possible, I don't have a Whole Foods store anywhere near me, but I do live in Central California, so I can't really complain, the fruit here is great.
I grow my own fruits and some herbs and exhcange some of my bounty with family, friends and neighbors. But I think local is better, at least you know who's door to go knock down, I mean knock on if there is some type of chemical poising or salmonella outbreak. It(local farming) allows itself for change at the ground (grassroots)level (pun intended).

Don't get me wrong, I like and buy organic too (only if its from CA), the food is simply more beautiful when its all natural, especially broccoli! And we eat with the eyes first, right? But if it is flown in from another country, I think ... hmmm.. some native farmer's land was taken away (United Fruit Company, ring a bell?) to grow "Organic" produce, to be shipped miles and miles away so a pretentious shopper(me)can buy one bunch of broccoli and feel she has done a good deed, a person that lives in a land of excess and can afford to shop for quality. Then I think, those people in that community could be enjoying it right off the tree. I know I feel proud when I eat fruit from my hometown and from my garden right off the tree, I think everyone should know that feeling. But again I am fortunate and biased, I live in California. But I know there are various edibles that are native to each region, it's time to start cultivating those gifts and start working within our communities to bring quality, local and safe food to the table.

Isn't organic, suppose to mean simple?

Definitions of Organic:
-"Simple, healthful, and close to nature"
-"Resembling a living organism in organization or development; interconnected"
-"Constituting an integral part of a whole; fundamental"

oh, and
-"Raised or conducted without the use of drugs, hormones, or synthetic chemicals"

local it is!

just my two cents,

Niki, please continue writing about this.

all the best!

-PJ