Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Reef Ball Idea

I've been thinking a lot about Reef Balls and the possibilities therein.

Reef Balls offer an incredible way for large companies to 1. Get their names out into the zeitgeist. 2. Prove their environmental worth and concern, and 3. Rehabilitate/ stabilize threatened beaches and reef environments.

In the Reef Ball Demo Video, they speak about printing corporate logos on Reef Balls, or stringing them together in chains to spell things.

Here's my thought:





"Patong beach stabilized, rehabilitated and revitalized by Treehugger and the Reef Ball Foundation"

It's all about one thing: Google Earth.

Your telling me that a company wouldn't want to be able to advertise their brand, show they care about the environment, and have the message stay up for 500 years, and all it would cost is the concrete and labor?

A 500 year ad? For pennies?

This is massive. In this post-Katrina, post-Tsunami world, you should have people falling over themselves to advertise this way, and everybody wins.

The beach front homeowners win.
The fish win.
The beaches and reefs win.
The fishermen win.
The companies that are advertising win.
Google Earth wins.
The internet wins.
Reef Balls win.
Good, constructive work wins.

Everybody wins.

And dig this: I don't want to be buried in the ground, I want my ashes cast into a Reef Ball! Me and all my friends.

Whoah! There's an idea: a Reef Ball ad made up of the ashes of the company that is advertisings former employees! The possibilities are endless.

Todd, I hope you read this.
Big ol' companies looking for a smart, forward thinking, clean, green, altruistic way to advertise for centuries, I hope you read this too.


Love to all,

SF

No comments: