Thursday, December 6, 2007

Things I Love: My Compost Bin

Good afternoon all,

In my backyard stands this little beauty. Silent, super-productive, and virtually odorless, the compost bin means that pounds and pounds of organic material doesn't end up in a landfill. My upstairs neighbors and I are pretty religious about composting as much as we can, and in a year or two we'll have wonderful mulch to add to planter boxes, sprinkle on gardens, or use to grow saplings.
Sturdy construction helps keep out critters.


Thar she blows!


apple cores, tea bags, used tissue, coffee grounds; all should be composted.


Carry the future compost outside.


It's as easy as one!


Two!


Three! And done.

Since I started composting and recycling, I've noticed that all I ever throw out is non-recyclable plastic. Remind me again, why do we even make that? (When we could be using and composting this: corn plastic.)

If you've got a backyard, why not use a compost bin?

Here's a link to the NYC Compost Project's site: NY Compost

Or, if you'd like to build your own bin, which is both cheap and easy, here's instructions on how: Build Your Own: Compost Bin

Compost! Prove you love America!

Love,

Jackson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so awesome! I think a compost bin would make the perfect holiday gift. Agreed? I wish I had a backyard...